Saturday, August 6, 2011

Domestic And Loving It!

I make my own laundry soap. I never thought I'd say that. The craziest part? I love doing it! I decided to document what the process looks like for me as a way of encouraging you to try it yourself. 
the ingredients
The first part is really easy: I pour 1 cup of one powder and a 1/2 cup of the other powder into the container.
1 cup
1/2 cup
Here's where the real work begins. I open the bar, cut it into pieces and then stick the pieces in the Magic Bullet. It takes me 3 or 4 batches to get it all ground up.
1 bar






The Magic Bullet is wonderful for this project!
I combine the two powders from the first two steps with the powder from the Fels-Naptha bar, and this is what it looks like:
The finished product. (of a double batch)
The recipe is from The Dugger Family recipe. If you look at the recipe, you'll see their single batch recipe. I always make a double recipe. I feel like if I'm going to go through the hassle of getting out the ingredients and of grinding up the Fels-Naptha, then I'm going to make enough to last me quite awhile. 

The single batch is supposed to do 40 loads. I, however, because of the extra large capacity of my washer (perhaps I should do a whole post on why I love my washing machine....), almost always wash what would be considered an Extra Large load. Therefore, I use two scoops rather than one, and a double batch then lasts me about 40 loads. Which is about 3 months, give or take some spit up. 

Seth and I have calculated the cost to be less than 10% the cost of Tide, so even though I'd consider myself a sale and coupon shopper, we are certainly saving money on laundry these days. Which is an even bigger deal than normal when you have a Super Spitter Baby like we do! All told, I think the process of making a double batch takes me approximately 20 minutes. That's 20 minutes well spent given the cost savings! 

I use a plastic sherbert container to keep it in. It's a half gallon container and holds a double batch perfectly. I use a scoop that comes with baby formula which is a good tablespoon scoop, and as I regularly have these scoops in my house, I'd be happy to send you one if you'd like.

6 comments:

  1. What store do you find the powders in? I can't say I've seen the Arm & Hammer stuff anywhere.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've bought all three items at Kroger. But, I don't think we have Krogers back home. I have had good luck asking my grocery manager at my local store to start carrying items that they don't currently carry. I suggest you go to the store, ask for the manager, and request they start carrying it. Is that the only item you've not seen?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just did the math, and it looks to me like a single batch (which does 40 large loads) costs about $2. $2.015, actually, according to my math. And Seth double-checked my figuring, too, and agrees with me, so it's probably right on the money. Literally. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Which is about $.05 per load.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, and I have a fairly large stockpile of formula scoops just waiting for one of y'all to want one. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Had the Fels-Naptha in my grocery cart at the store the other day ... but came to find out the store doesn't carry Borax or washing soap :(

    If I can locate all the ingredients, I'd love to give it a try!

    ReplyDelete