Monday, August 29, 2011

Making Baby Food: Corn

Here's how I make Corn baby food:
-steam frozen corn until well done (about 20 minutes)
-wash with cold water to cool down so as to touch easily
-blend in Magic Bullet
-freeze in cubes
-reheat as needed

This was actually my first time making corn baby food as it's on our pediatrician's 10-12 month food chart, and he just turned 10 months. I enjoyed it as much as one can--steaming veggies on the stove while the temperature outside is a steamy 105+! The corn was steaming, and I was steaming. :-) The smell of steaming corn filled the house and took me down memory lane which was both nice and sad. I wished for years gone by, making homemade sweet corn with my extended Mattison family. My heart aches even now, just thinking of it. Anyways, I didn't find corn much different than the other frozen veggies-turned puree and will definitely make it again.
my supplies: ice cub trays, Magic Bullet, foil, Sharpie, measuring cup, and a spoon
This is my second-biggest pot, with the steamer inside.
Two packages of frozen corn. Beware of the brand you use because some companies add salt. Make sure the ingredients list includes just the vegetable and nothing added.
After putting several inches of water in the bottom of the pot, I add both bags to the steamer, and let them cook for about 20 minutes (from the time the water is boiling). (The yellow splotch you see on the cover is not butter, it's a reflection of the hood light.)
the cooked corn, in my big colander, which is sitting in the sink... I do this so I can spray it down with cold water.
I scoop it out with the measuring cup and put it into the Magic Bullet container. 
I then add some water to the container and puree it.
This has been one of my best investments!
I scoop it out of the container with a tablespoon and put it into the tray.
I would have gotten a little over three trays, but I was making two veggies this day, and needed the two other trays for that veggie. So I froze some in these bowls we have.
sealed, labeled and ready to freeze
what it looks like straight from the freezer..
and right after I take the foil off..
Corn has so far been THE hardest veggie to get out of the trays. I normally let them sit out at room temperature for just a few minutes (like 2), twist, and out they come! But, the corn had me sweating and nearly swearing they were so challenging! I finally caved in and ran some water over the back of the tray to get them out. I don't typically like to do that because it makes the outsides just ever-so slimy/smudgy that they don't freeze as nicely.

No comments:

Post a Comment