Friday, September 30, 2011

Crafting with Baby?

One of the things I was most excited about regarding having children is doing crafts with them. Recently, at church, there was a plastic water bottle filled with a slow-moving clear liquid (as well as beads inside) in the room we were working. Oldest loved it. He played with it every chance he could. Seth and I chatted about what the clear liquid was, and our best guess was Karo syrup.

A week or so later, I saw this bottle of lite Karo syrup on the clearance shelf at Tom Thumb, and decided that I would buy it and experiment with kids and crafts. I knew I had tons of beads at home and plastic baggies and figured this would be an easy one to start with. We've been pretty cooped up this week given the chicken pox situation and this gave us something to do, which was perfect!

He wasn't much help with the project, so it mostly resulted in me doing all the work and him playing with it afterwards, but I'm still pleased with how well it went/worked. I got out a sandwich-size baggie, poured Karo syrup inside, and then dropped a few red beads inside. I attempted to have Oldest drop a few beads in (he's great at putting things inside other things), but the beads were too shiny and tempting. They went right in his mouth. I sealed up the baggie, and let him play with it. Below is our documentation.



the supplies
the less-than-thrilled guinea pig
He would have preferred to just suck/chew on the baggie all day.
This is what it looked like when combined.
Austin had a pretty good time squishing the beads around, and then squeezing the bag entirely.
"Ok, I decided I like crafts."

It was fun and only took about 1 minute of preperation and 30 seconds of work. Time well spent!

1 comment:

  1. Fun! We'll have to try it with a plastic bottle too sometime. Seriously, you need to get on Pinterest. You'll see TONS of fun craft ideas. Yeah, that's what I'm excited about with Luke. I'm eager for him to be out of the "everything-in-the-mouth" stage and into the playing with crafts stage. :)

    ReplyDelete