Tuesday, December 13, 2011

I'm a Sponge Convert

I used to detest sponges. (And dish rags.) Detested them. All I could think of was the smell. And the germs collecting inside. Only to be spread around on whatever you were trying to clean. It seemed to me that things would be dirtier, not cleaner, post-sponge use (or post-rag use). Yuck. And then there's the smell again. Double yuck. 

So, because of this, I became A Wipe User. I've been A Wipe User for most of my adult life. Clorox Wipes. Pledge Wipes. Baby Wipes. Wet Wipes. Anything I could use to clean something up, and then throw away. I could avoid both the smell and the lingering germs this way. I keep a pretty clean house this way--all the nasty germs and smell are tightly sealed in the trash can.

And then I saw a commercial that rocked my world. I was sitting on the couch a couple weeks ago with Anne Marie, each of us minding our own business, when this commercial comes on. It struck us both so much that we stopped talking, watched it, and then turned to look at each other with our mouths hanging open. And then we both, at the same time, started talking about how great it was. It was crazy how much power this sponge commercial had!

The thing that really got me is that you can put it in the dishwasher to clean it. That was the kicker! I wouldn't have to worry about the smell. Or the germs. But mostly, the smell. I bought the sponge as soon as I could, and I've been completely converted. I am now A Sponge User. 


I like how well it cleans and can scrub, but without scratching anything. I like that it's made from natural fibers. I like the color (it doesn't show dinginess). But best of all, I like that I can put it in the daily dishwasher cycle, and it'll be clean and ready to be used again tomorrow. (This is different than dishrags. Dishrags collect for almost a week, smelling up the laundry room, cuz I don't do laundry every single day like we run a daily load of dishes.) 

I am excited about this change in my cleaning routine and excited about the money savings we'll enjoy. And, of course, the environmental savings. 

5 comments:

  1. the whole time I was reading this, all I could think was, "Just think about that carbon footprint shrinking!" :-) I've not yet gotten around to getting it, but I will by Christmas, I can promise you that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I go back and forth between using sponges and dish cloths. I still use the Clorox wipes too. But when I'm using a regular sponge, I always put it in the dishwasher. When it was done, I'd wring it out and put it in the microwave for 15 seconds. That killed the bacteria and smell. Just another thought if you ever decide not to use this brand. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is very good food for thought. I didn't know sponges could go in the dishwasher. My (informal) system usually involves chucking rags down the stairs or hanging them to dry, replacing them every couple days. Sponges don't grab crumbs the way I'd like them to.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We used dishrags growing up, and I hated the smell. Plus, they were always sorta wet when you used it again which is like a wet swim suit. yuck. I started using sponges when I got to adulthood because I thought they were cooler. Angela, I'm with you about the crumbs, and I do admit that I will wipe up with a dishtowel (the white, non-linting towels) after using the sponge if I've missed some. And this isn't to say I don't still use Clorox wipes. I do. For doorknobs and Austin's highchair specifically. Sometimes you can't beat a wipe. But I'm generally VERY pleased with this change. AM, you'll have to let me know what you think once you try them!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I bought the sponge because I too hate the smell dishrags can get if they are not washed often enough. And once they get that smell, it comes back faster after washing subsequent times so they just get thrown away. I'm using the sponge but also bought some new dishrags . . . after using them for 35 years, it's hard to just write them off even if they deserve it!

    ReplyDelete