Monday, December 31, 2012

2012's books

In looking back at 2012, I feel like I didn't get to read as much as I would have liked. And in compiling this year's book list (26), I found it shorter than last years' list (29), so that confirms that feeling. (And I had really hoped to read at least 30 books this year; I wanted to do more, not less.) 

Nonetheless, since I always get asked about book recommendations, here's the list of books I read in 2012:

How to be a Best Friend Forever: Making and Keeping Lifetime Relationships  John Townsend

*Heaven is For Real  Todd Burpo
*The Front Porch Prophet  Raymond Atkins
*The Hunger Games (#1)  Suzanne Collins
Catching Fire (#2)  Suzanne Collins
Mockingjay (#3)  Suzanne Collins
*The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks  Rebecca Skloot
*7: An Experimental Mutiny Against Excess  Jen Hatmaker
*A Voice in the Wind (Mark of the Lion Series, #1)  Francine Rivers
Chicken Soup for the Soul: Stay-at-Home Moms  Jack Canfield
Interrupted: An Adventure in Relearning the Essentials of Faith  Jen Hatmaker
*An Echo in the Darkness (#2)  Francine Rivers
On Becoming Toddlerwise: From First Steps to Potty Training  Gary Ezzo
*As Sure As the Dawn (#3)  Francine Rivers
Bossypants  Tina Fey
Give Them Grace: Dazzling Your Kids with the Love of Jesus  Elyse M. Fitzpatrick
Boundaries: When to Say Yes, How to say No, to Take Control of Your life  Henry Cloud
*Uncle Tom’s Cabin  Harriet Beecher Stowe
*Battle Hymn of the Tiger Mother  Amy Chua
*Bringing Up Bebe  Pamela Druckerman
*The Light Between Oceans  M. L. Stedman
Her Ladyship's Guide to Modern Manners  Lucy Gray
*From Ruby Ridge to Freedom  Sara Weaver
Bah, Humbug!  Heather Horrocks  
The Last Noel  Michael Malone
From Notting Hill with Love... Actually  Ali McNamara

My favorites from 2012 are: How to be a Best Friend, 7, Bossypants, Boundaries, Battle Hymn, Bringing up Bebe, and From Notting Hill.

The best thing I learned about this year is that Barnes and Noble offers a free book every Friday for the Nook. I have the Nook app on my phone and our new iPad mini, so I got the last two books that way. I signed up to the follow the blog so I get notification each week (you could also just set a reminder to look for it each Friday). I then did a search on Amazon for free books for the Kindle app (which I also have on my phone and the iPad) and came across the Bah, Humbug! novella. I very much enjoyed those last three books and given that they were free makes them even better!


What's your favorite book you read in 2012? Any other neat tips to share (free books and the like)?


*books: Books I read with Chapters, my book club of the last 3.5 years.

1 comment:

  1. I recently read "Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World that Can't Quit Talking" and I thoroughly loved it. I felt understood even as I sat in a coffee shop in Germany! I thought the story in "Life of Pi" was pretty compelling, too. I really want to be more organized about what I've read so that this time next year, I am sure of what I've read in the last year! I have been trying to remember what I've read, and I'm just not getting it! :-(

    ReplyDelete