Monday, February 3, 2014

OXO Good Grips POP storage containers

A friend of mine recently shared with me that she was using these containers and it really got me to thinking about how nice it would be to organize my pantry in this way. As it was, I was using canisters on the counter and then storing the rest of the product in a baggie in the pantry because the whole product (2lb bag of brown sugar, or whatnot) wouldn't all fit in the canister. So the product was taking up space on my counter AND in the pantry! I decided it was time to make a change and since Cyndi was in love with her OXO containers, so I bought some for myself.

First of all, it's hard to tell from a website what the sizes are actually like, so I took a picture of this insert that came in my containers. I wished the Amazon site more clearly described them or what they look like next to each other. (The picture of all the containers together doesn't explain what sizes you're seeing, so it doesn't help much.)
I have 3 of the 2.4 qt size, 1 of the 4.0 qt size, and 1 of the .9qt size.
This is what my pantry now looks like. I wish I had taken a before photo because the transformation is amazing! (My containers have sugar, flour (two kinds), brown sugar, and powdered sugar in them from left to right/top to bottom. The brown and powdered sugar containers each have new a 2lb bag inside, for comparison size-wise.) The other container isn't pictured but has coffee in it.
I wanted to show another picture, more clearly detailing a size comparison. These containers are all nice squares with big wide tops, for easy access. I have only used them once since I switched over, but my 1-cup measure cup fit inside the sugar tub well enough that I just scooped up the cup of sugar I needed, jiggled it side to side to take off the excess, and put the lid back on. Easy-Peasy!

Here's the only negative as I see it: The bottoms (the clear plastic part) is not dishwasher safe. That seems crazy to me, but I will probably only fill these once a year or something since I'm using them for dry goods, so it's certainly not a deal breaker. It might be if it was something I was going to have to clean more often. I should mention that the lid comes apart and IS dishwasher safe.

Anything else you want to know about these that I can help with?

*I would note that these get quite heavy when full and though the top seems VERY secure air-wise, I wouldn't carry them around by the top as I imagine the lid coming out. It's not so secure I would trust it. Though I can't imagine wanting to do that anyways because the surface area to grab just the lid would be very difficult.

No comments:

Post a Comment