Saturday, February 1, 2014

PARK REVIEW: Peter Pan Park

I have been wanting to start a series of Park Reviews since we started going to the park regularly (about 2.5 years ago!), so welcome to my first one! I'll include some pictures so you can get a feel for the park, as well as a map so you can easily find it/get a sense of the surroundings. I also plan on giving a rating to the park, based on three factors: equipment (amount, variety, benches, picnic tables), condition (litter, maintenance issues), and environment (location, parking, seclusion, shade). There will also be an overall rating. These are on a 1-10 scale, with 10 being the best and 1 being the worst.

Peter Pan Park Review

OVERALL: 8.5

Equipment: 8

Condition: 7

Environment: 9


Overall, this was an AWESOME park and I highly recommend it. (Though that's hard for me to do because I want to be the only one there!) We will definitely go back; it's currently my favorite park in Dallas.

Positives:
-It's in a very secluded area, so there are trees bordering two of the three sides of this triangular-shaped park (one line of trees even has a visible creek running through it).
-The parking was a bit weird as it's just on the street in the crook of a bend in the road, so it would be hard to fit a bunch of cars close by, but that also makes it nice because the traffic (on this small residential street) is far from the equipment so that run-away kids are easily caught in time. Only about 3 or 4 cars would fit easily, in my opinion.
-Two sections of equipment, one geared toward the small ones (G is 15 months and did just fine on all of it) and one geared for a bit bigger kid (A is 39 months and did just fine on everything in the park). I can imagine kids 2nd grade and older being too big. But again, I don't have kids that age, so it's a bit hard for me to judge that.
-Three or Four picnic tables for eating lunches and about 6 benches scattered around for sitting and watching the kids.
-Nice open space for running around/playing ball. It's big but not like soccer field big.
-Tons of garbage cans. More than you would need. (And yet there was still trash on the ground, including empty beer cans!)
-Well-maintained. There were a few pieces of trash, but the mulch was full and nice and there wasn't any graffiti, etc. Everything seemed new-ish and generally well-kept.

Negatives:
-No bathrooms. This might be a deal breaker for you, but isn't for me. (I'll make sure we have used the bathroom before we leave the house, though. This park is only about 5 minutes from my house.)
-Not much shade. We were there on a cloudy day with leafless trees, but I can imagine it being too hot in the summer with the lack of trees shading the equipment.
-No drinking fountains. That's not a big deal to me, but just be warned.
-Only four swings, one of which was a baby swing and a red one which I think is ADA.


A is 3 years, 3 months and G is 15 months.
This sign was outside the small equipment area, but I think 5 would be too bored. 
the smaller equipment
The middle section had a picnic table inside.
G crawled through the tunnel lickety-split!
the bigger equipment
This sidewalk and bridge were cute.
It doesn't go much of anywhere, but I thought it was nice looking.
The two sections are separate but close by.
One could easily sit and keep an eye on both sections/more than one kid.
Toward the creek was this nice stone steps/retaining wall which I thought was cute.
It could be a hassle if you have a "runner," though.
benches and picnic tables and garbage cans.
A had no problem running across this bridge, but the space between the bridge and the first side rail was over G's head, so we needed to stand near him for that. But he's a climber and fearless. Perhaps your young one wouldn't even attempt.
A loved this slide. He went down over and over again.
It was definitely not too big for him!
G was all over the big equipment. (And has started this lip-out concentration face.)
G doesn't like swinging very much, but does like sitting in a swing while A swings! 
The hubs showing how big the red swing was.
My two oldest men playing football on the open space.
Here are some Google images better detailing the park, where it's located and the seclusion:

No comments:

Post a Comment